11 Questions with Bruce, our newest Travel Nurse Recruiter at Axis
Meet Bruce, the newest Rock Star addition to the Axis team.
Bruce comes to Axis with a significant amount of recruiting experience, specifically working with and placing Travel Nurses in awesome assignments. So if you’re looking for a recruiter who knows what he’s doing, then Bruce is a guy you want to get in contact with. Like today. Plus, he’s a good dude. Let’s get to know him a bit better…
- You primarily recruit for Travel Nurses. What’s your favorite part about your job?
I get to help people achieve their goals. Whether its make a little more money locally, pick up some extra shifts or travel anywhere in the US for family, vacation or adventure. I love being able to make something like taking a job in Washington when you live in Texas a fun, profitable breeze instead of a logistics and licensure nightmare. This is such a cool industry to work in when you really know what you’re doing, especially for my nurses. I’m here to help navigate the waters.
- If you could offer one piece of advice to a Travel Nurse, what would it be?
Be flexible. If you can travel… TRAVEL! It’s such a fun way to explore the country, if you’re stuck, I can still help, but I always give nurses the same advice I give myself, try new things and be flexible if you can afford to.
- What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have outside of work?
I love Oregon and the Pacific Northwest. It is my home. Anything to do with the mountains, lakes, ocean and woods. I play a lot of sports with friends in leagues and spend a lot of time with my family.
- It’s a Friday night in Portland, and you have to pick one restaurant to go to. Which is it and why?
Benihana, that place is so much fun and the food is terrific, just outside of Portland though.
- Best vacation you ever have taken?
Toss up between going to Santorini Greece as a 14 year old and diving into a world more ancient than I had ever imagined. Or Costa Rica when I was 24, the first world class all-inclusive resort I had been too and the largest pool in central America. My first taste of true accomplishment because I earned the trip and my first taste of tropical bliss as an adult. Both will be with me for the rest of my life.
- What do you like most about Portland?
The outdoors and scenery are a huge, huge part of it, but I think the best part is the people. There are a lot of places not as liberated or for lack of a better term weird as us here. Live and let live and keep Portland weird.
- Dog person or Cat person?
Dog, if you have a cat I can probably help get you some tax free money for a dog on your next contract so you can switch. I’m kidding, I love all animals, I grew up on a farm believe it or not before all of this.
- I’m happiest when:
My nurses call me on their first day and say everything went great and I get those two magic words “thank you”.
- What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
Cheese, first thing that popped into my head when I read this, can you imagine.
- Favorite song, movie, book, or comedian?
- What do you like best about working at Axis so far?
I have ultimate flexibility here and I seek to provide that to my nurses. We have a great team, and I have a lot of experience in this field. We need a few more Rock Stars to help us fill some great openings, have a lot of fun, and make a difference in a lot of people’s lives along the way. Hope to talk soon.
Who wouldn’t want to work with Bruce, right? Hit him up today!
- Travel Nurse Assignments: Live Like a Local – Portland, OR! - June 13, 2023
- Navigating the Puzzle: Allied Licensing Guide - June 1, 2023
- Recruiter Spotlight: Heidi Simpson, Travel Nurse Recruiter - April 10, 2017